The cast has been announced and the theatre scene is ablaze in anticipation to see what principal headliners Paulini and Hugh Sheridan do with Broadway’s most coveted roles, Dione and Berger!
“After auditioning for three months and seeing over 800 artists, I am so pleased to be announcing this young, dynamic and exciting cast. Declan and the creative team have been working around the clock creating a new version of HAIR for these wonderful actors to embrace, and soon it will be time to share it with the country. What an honour to announce the cast on the 50th anniversary of it opening in Sydney in 1969; it is time to Let The Sun Shine In once again.” said Producer, David M. Hawkins said,
The new production is set to tour Perth, Geelong, Wyong, Wollongong and Sydney before the finale at HOTA Gold Coast. Joining Sheridan and Paulini are a tribe of great local talent including, Prinnie Stevens (The Voice) as Sheila, newcomer Matthew Manahan as Claude. Angelique Cassimatis (Priscilla/Saturday Night Fever) as oxygen-conscious Jeanie, and direct from Broadway, Harris M Turner (Summer) in the role of Hud – King of cool. Stefanie Caccamo (Beautiful/Once) is sweet Crissy, still waiting for Frank Mills, and Callan Purcell (Jasper Jones) will sow his seeds as Woof.
- Original Broadway production cast included: Diane Keaton, Ben Vereen and Meat Loaf.
- 1967 – Grammy Award for Best Score from an Original Cast Show Album.
- 1967 – Opened Off-Broadway at the Public Theatre New York City
- 1968 – Opened On Broadway
- 1969 – Opened in Sydney breaking local box office records with a two-year run. Transferred to Melbourne in 1971 then a national tour including His Majesty’s Perth where this production will open.
- 1969 – The show and cast recordings were prohibited by law in Queensland
- 2009 – Tony Award and Drama Desk Award for Best Revival of a Musical, leading to a full national tour and transfer to the West End.