The history of the quiche comes back from the Middle ages or 16th century. Even though the Quiche is a known as an open savoury tart in French cuisine, its origin took place in Germany they called it “Kuchen” the name for cakes in German. The quiche appeared in France in 1805 in the History of Nancy by Linnois comes from the language of our beloved brethren across the Rhine.
- 200 g Fresh salmon (Skin off)
- 1 sticks Leek (1 large or 2 medium leeks
- 100 g Spinach leaves
- 5 Garlic (cloves)
- 2 sticks Thyme
- 10 ml Olive oil
- 8 Eggs
- 100 g Creme Fraiche (Thickened or sour cream)
- 100 ml Milk (Hi-lo or full fat )
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 40 g Romano cheese (Or Parmesan)
- Salt & pepper
Side salad “optional”
- 100 g Mix leaves (lettuce)
- 80 g Cherry tomatoes (cut in halves)
- 20 grapes
- 1 Yellow capsicum
- 1 small red onion
- olive oil ( a dash to dress )
Prepare 4 larges ramekins or tart dish of at least 10 cm diameter. if you do not have it, Do not panic use your regular quiche dish. As we do not use pastry here, we want to use a baking dish that will hold the liquids inside. In this recipe i am using 6 dishes as i meal prep for few weeks and keep some in the freezer. B- Pre-heat your oven at 170°C. C- Gather all your ingredients. D- As Usual i will Show you how to make this recipe in the fastest way possible.
Preparing the vegetables
- Grab your leek and Take out the outer leaves and cut off the bottom roots of the Leeks. Contrary to many recipes i used most of the green part of the leek.
- Cut your leek in sections of 5-6 cm and in halves. This make it easier to slice.
- You can slice it across or against the grain it doesn’t matter. Just try to slice them 3-4 mm thick as it cooked faster. I like precision cuts so here i have done a Julienne of leeks.
- Using a colander, wash the leeks under cold water.. Leeks as a tendency to be very sandy.
- Using a fry-pan heat up the olive oil.
Cook the leek for 4 minutes without giving colour to them. This is called sweating the leek and it will make them soft. Wash off your spinach leaves before adding to the leeks and cooking for another 4 minutes. Chop your garlic and add, cooking for another 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to season.
Once you are happy with the seasoning, Drain the vegetables in a colander over a bowl and let it cool down.
Prepare the Salmon fillets
6. This few coming steps applies if you do not have Skinned or skin off Salmon portions. Most of the time it is cheaper to buy skin on salmon and remove the skin yourself as it only takes 2 minutes.
Here are my salmon fillet skin on.. You can not bake the salmon skin in the quiche. It will make the quiche very bitter. Skin on salmon is really good if you Pan fry it…
So here i remove it in few easy steps.
Secure the salmon fillet with on hand, preferably the hone you are not using to cut with. Hold the belly side firmly against the chopping board. With a shape knife gently incise the salmon flesh towards the skin without cutting it. Slice the the salmon to reach the skin, holding tight the salmon and place the knife parallel to the chopping board. Keep sliding the knife against the skin, until the end of the Fillet. Discard the skin.
Dice the salmon in 2-3 cm cubes. And repeat the process of removing the skin.
Putting the Quiche together
7. Prepare your dishes and place them a front of you. as i mention earlier you can do this in a large baking dish. I do not add fat to my dishes. Separate equally your vegetables into each dishes.
Try to do the same with the diced salmon. It should look like this.
8. Grab your branches of thyme. With the help of a pair of scissors chopped the thyme into each dishes. You can use another herb such as basil or dill depending of your preferences.
9. In a clean bowl, crack your eggs. Keep cracking them and watch out for shells. Add your creme fraiche or sour cream. Season with pepper, salt, nutmeg and mix vigorously.
10. It should look free of lump. Add milk and stir vigorously. Alternatively, you could have put everything in a jug and use a stick blender. Pour the mixture ” we call it the royal in french terminology”
12. Using a fine grater, microplane and already grated cheese.. grate the Romano or Parmesan. Top each dish with cheese.
13. Place the dishes on a tray.
Just in case it over spill it will save you to clean your oven.
Bake at 170°c for 15 to 20 minuts depending of your dishes and oven.
Take of the oven when the mixture looks a little golden and set. And you are ready to eat a beautiful pastry less quiche.
If Salmon does not suit you, it is possible to replace it with any other fish of your liking. This also go for the vegetables, as you could put mushrooms instead of the spinach or asparagus instead the leek.
As shown on the photo below, i have added few mix leaves, capsicum, cherry tomato and grapes , a dash of olive oil from side salad.
Bon Appetit. Frenchy
NETFLIX NEWS & MYLIST RECOMMENDATIONS
View this post on Instagram
1. Get yourself a @gozney roccbox – a high powered portable gas oven that scorches up to 500 degrees making entertaining large groups so easy! Smashing out pizzas in 60 seconds with Anita @myfoodsafari aka @bestofthermomix – soooo much fun! . . 2. @flickerfest wraps up this weekend with an epic awards ceremony to decide the winners in the major categories of short films from the 200+ that have been showcased the past 10 days before its taken on tour across the nation! .
DINING | RECIPES | FILM | TV | MUSIC | THEATRE | FASHION | HEALTH & FITNESS | TECHNOLOGY | FAMILY & KIDS ENTERTAINMENT | TRAVEL | MOTORING | RESEARCH | PEOPLE & BUSINESS IN THE COMMUNITY | SOCIAL SCENE & EVENTS
INTERVIEWS & PODCASTS